This comprehensive DVD makes the essential elements of fingerspelling available to ASL students. The program presents models of appropriate handshapes and suggestions for expressive and receptive practice techniques. It provides excellent support for those who experience frustration in learning to fingerspell clearly or accurately.
Seven sections cover:
- Overview of a natural approach to fingerspelling
- Introduction to an approach to fingerspelled words as whole units
- Development of clear expressive skills
- Opportunity to practice fingerspelling and to increase speed
- Practice with both anticipated vocabulary and specific patterns of English
- Background information about loan signs
- Creative use of fingerspelling
Joyce Linden Groode has taught over 30 years at California State University at Northridge. Her acclaimed fingerspelling workshops have enabled a generation of signers and interpreters to achieve greater mastery of fingerspelling.