Cognitive Processing Skills in English
Cognitive processing is an important foundation for the complex skill of simultaneous interpreting. Practicing cognitive processing within English improves linguistic flexibility and the ability to rapidly manage competing stimuli. These management strategies help reduce stress and increase effectiveness while interpreting. Check out the companion volume Cognitive Processing Skills in ASL to develop these skills in both languages.
Who is this book for? Interpreting students and their teachers as well as working interpreters can benefit from the study of this volume. It can also be used to earn RID CMP CEUs when you work with an approved RID sponsor.
Cognitive Processing Skills in English provides information as well as carefully sequenced exercises that increase in difficulty within each unit and also throughout the volume on the following topics:
- Comprehension of English
- Acuity and Discrimination
- Pattern Inference
- Managing competing stimuli
Each exercise includes:
- English video source material in either DVD format or via the DSP online library
- Study Questions
- The Five-Step Follow-up
The Five-Step Follow-Up is a unique method of self-analysis and encourages reflective practice and is included in each exercise.
The Teacher's Guide includes all of the information and material that appears in the Study Set and:
- Discussion questions
- Suggestions for how to conduct the exercises
- Samples of appropriate responses to workbook questions
- The video source material is the same for both the Teacher's Guide and the Study Set