Translating from ASL teaches the steps necessary to take any ASL source material and complete the following tasks:
- Analyze the meaning of the message
- Develop a message equivalent for the target language
- Test the resulting translation for accuracy
- Make adjustments to the message where necessary.
These tasks allow students to focus on the message transfer without the time restrictions associated with simultaneous interpreting.
*Click here for FREE sample syllabus!*
Added features in the teacher's guide make this a comprehensive teaching tool.
- Teachers are provided with examples of appropriate responses to the questions in the student's workbook (shown in italics).
- Also in italics are additional teacher's notes providing tips to the instructor for optimal use of the materials.
- A valuable Five-Step Follow-Up section, following each lesson, reinforces everything the student has learned.
Video Library access FREE for all teachers, contact us today to get started!
The Effective Interpreting Series is a multi-installment series offering five sets of source materials in English to use with any other language in a language pair, and five sets of source materials in American Sign Language (ASL). The series takes the complex skill of simultaneous interpreting and breaks it down into manageable components, allowing interpreters to increase the individual skills that lead to effective simultaneous interpreting.
Seminars on using The Effective Interpreting Series in your classroom or your mentoring sessions are now available! If you are interested in hosting a seminar for your college or university, please send an email to Joe Seifrid at firstname.lastname@example.org for complete details.
About the author:
Carol J. Patrie, Ph.D., was instrumental in designing and implementing the Master of Arts in Interpretation at Gallaudet University. An author of many National and International publications and a sought-after speaker and trainer, Patrie is one of the foremost professionals in the field of Interpretation and Education.